April is almost wrapping up and I’m glad that it didn’t linger like March. I have kept myself busy by working what hours I can get at what is normally my full-time job (presently working about 20-25 hours), still doing UberEats deliveries and some continuing education.
– Still working at the hotel – % has dropped, but we’re still maintaining
– Unfortunately, someone on the team was let go. I am sad for this, but the silver lining is there are some more hours for the team to share. I am grateful for the hours that my coworkers and I are able to share so that we can stay open and we all get some hours (vs 0-5 hours/week)
– Made one of my GMs laugh so hard – someone sneezed really loud in the lobby (like we could hear it in the back office). I was walking back to the desk and just stopped in my tracks, said “Nope” and apparently made a funny face and she started laughing so hard – which made me laugh too. She said, “I don’t know why it’s so funny, it just is.” I said, “Probably because of how I said it and because I’ve not been squeamish about all of this COVID crap, but that sneeze did something to me.” Which made her (and me) laugh harder
– Still working UberEats, Saturday was pretty decent
– Watching 2 dogs in a car hanging out the back windows, one on each side and then would flip sides
– Seeing all the happy dogs out on walks
-While out on a delivery, there was a guy with teal colored drums, guitar, mic, and an amp jamming out for his neighbors. People were out enjoying the weather, (mostly) practicing social distancing
– While doing another delivery, I went over a bridge and a pelican flew alongside my car for a few moments
– Doing UberEats or not, this week had some really pretty sunsets
– MORE DOGS HANGING OUT OF WINDOWS. *squeals* My heart was so happy
– I send out a “Hey, I’m Jenn your UberEats driver. I am on my way to you now. See you soon!” with a smiley. One of my deliveries texted back: “Thank you Jennifer. Thank you for everything you do especially during this time. God bless you and keep you healthy and safe.“
– Saw random fireworks
– Saturday night’s weather was near perfect – 73 with a decent amount of wind, but still felt amazing
– After I was done for Saturday night, I decided to go for a short drive with the windows down and music blaring. I felt that I embodied the “happy as a clam” phrase
– During some bad weather this week, I decided to stay home. I ended up typing up 4,000 words on a story idea and character map. Inspiration hits at the weirdest times!
– During this time (even before the decision that we would be staying open/not furloughed), some form of continuing education was on my to-do list. I finished two free courses offered by the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA). I have one more free training that I’m hoping to finish. I’m not necessarily qualified to take it/take the official exam, but it’s free training that would be helpful/learn some knowledge. I have 90 days from when I signed up to complete it and this last one is the biggest time-consuming. You have til 4/30/2020 (THIS Thursday) to sign up, here’s the link to sign up for those 3 FREE courses)
– With one of those courses being completed, I am eligible to become a Certified Hotel Supervisor (CHS) – there are some requirements that I’m not 100% sure if I meet (since I am in Sales vs. Front Desk), but I am thinking about talking about it with my boss. It’s $100 and there’s an official exam I have to take. I think it would be cool to achieve if I can get permission from AHLA with my history/background/skills.
– Also on continuing education – I am about halfway through Florida Atlantic University (FAU)’s free offering of a certificate in Hospitality & Tourism Management. 77,000 people have registered and there are some still on a waiting list I believe. I have an Associates (Applied Science) in Hospitality & Tourism Management but come this May, it will be EIGHT years since I graduated from the Culinary Institute of Charleston/Trident Technical College!!!!!!!!!! EIGHT YEARS!!!! Where did the time go?!?!
Since it’s been that long, because was free and have a few hours between working at the hotel and doing UberEats, a good “refresher” was in order. The segment that I’m now in a series of interviews with industry leaders in different facets of the hospitality & tourism industry. I already have some new insight and some new stirrings in my brain about continuing education ideas.
Progress on 32 Things
*For the full list, check out my birthday post 32 Birthdays and 32 Things*
Cross off one (out of 32) flavor of Ice Cream – it’s a small thing, but it still one thing towards the goal!
Enjoy the small things – dogs, good weather, good music, compliments from strangers, finished tasks, certificates of completions. We are all presently going through some crazy stuff – find the positive, happy-filled, enjoyable moments and soak them up!
Engage with strangers, coworkers, family and friends – don’t lose the personal connection. People matter so much.
Keep your brain going – do classes/take courses, look into continuing education (in your field or just a new skill somewhere else), play games (even video games count!), read (paper or digital), do puzzles (jigsaw, brain, strategy, crossword, word search, sudoku, etc)
Take time for yourself – go for a walk, read your favorite author, write and/or journal, play your favorite game(s), love on some animals, do a bubble bath/bath bomb/shower steamer, do or make a face mask, play your favorite music – whatever makes you happy, do it!
Learn a new skill – Pinterest and Google will be more than happy to help you accomplish this!
Simply become well rounded in the time that you have – some of us are still working, some are furloughed until estimated x time and others have been laid off/company closed completely. We live in a society that is work-work-work all the time. The time we have to ourselves now is a new concept – one nice and also scary at the same time. My hopes are that you won’t fill EVERY second doing something just to satisfy being “busy.” However, I hope that you also won’t let yourself (mind, body and soul) turn into complete mush where a rock has more brain activity.
Wishing you an amazing week ahead. Let’s all shine bright together…