Welcome back to our 2nd installment about Armed Forces Week.
This edition covers the US Navy and the US Coast Guard!
Born: October 13th, 1775
Colors : Blue and Gold
Motto: “Non sibi sed patriae ” — Latin for:“Not for self but for country“
Symbol(s): Eagle, Constitution, Anchor
What do they do: From the Navy.mil “The mission of the Navy is to maintain, train and equip combat-ready Naval forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression and maintaining freedom of the seas”
The Navy is a primarily water based defense and force, but they collaborate with other branches to work toward the greater good. [Even here in Charleston, the Air Force and the Navy share the same main base called Joint Base Charleston]
- Enlisted personnel are called Sailors or Seamen.
- The Navy is the largest of the service branches in the entire world!
- The Navy also has the largest aircraft carrier fleet.
- Nicknames: Squids, Fleeties, Swabbies
- The Sailor’s Creed (taken from Navy.com): “I am a United States Sailor. I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me. I represent the fighting spirit of the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world. I proudly serve my country’s Navy combat team with Honor, Courage and Commitment. I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.”Enough said?
Hooyah! – Navy
For more info:
Born: August 4th, 1970
Colors : White, CG Blue, CG Red [this red looks orange]
Motto: “Semper Paratus“– Latin for “Always Ready”
Symbol(s): The Prominent symbols are the CG logo with the 2 crossing anchors as well as the “Racing Stripe.”
What do they do: Having jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters, they cover everything from coastal defense, maritime law enforcement and safety checks, ice patrols, living marine resources and other marine environment protection (like fisheries), river navigations, drug busts and search and rescue missions.
- Enlisted personnel are called Guardsmen or Sailors.
- The Coast Guard was around before the Navy was.
- Nicknames: Coasties, Shallow water sailors, The Guard
- CG is very prominent with our water based cities. Since not everyone is not water-locked or water-based, sometimes the CG can be forgotten as a branch of our Military service.
If you think the CG doesn’t do anything, you can see what’ve they done in the news, protecting our coast and winning on the war on drugs:
coast-guard-cutter-bertholf- returns-home-after-stopping- over-200-million-in-drugs/ 2016/04/22/
Hooyah! – Coast Guard
For more info: